DIOCESE OF ALBANY CATHOLIC SCHOOLS
Thank you for your interest in Holy Spirit School.
Here at Holy Spirit School, our mission is to provide students with an excellent academic program in a value-centered atmosphere which instills in the community Christ-centered moral values. We accomplish this through our dedicated faculty and staff, cutting edge curriculum and grounded moral teachings. For over 50 years, we have been educating the whole-child: academically, spiritually, physically and emotionally. We are very proud of the many accomplishments of our students and know that we will continue to prepare all of our students for high school, college and beyond!
Open Positions at this School:
Holy Spirit School - East Greenbush, NY
Start Date - ASAP
We are looking for a responsible custodian to maintain and protect our school facilities. The external and internal appearance of our building is a high priority as it reflects our image as a welcoming place for students and teachers. The ideal candidate will be experienced in a custodian role focused on building upkeep. They will have great physical endurance to cover a large space. A keen eye for detail and diligence are also imperative in custodial maintenance jobs.
- Ensure spaces are prepared for the next day by taking out trash, tidying furniture and dusting surfaces
- Sweep and mop floors and vacuum carpets
- Wash and sanitize toilets, sinks and showers and restock disposables (e.g. soap)
- Wipe mirrors and windows
- Maintain outer premises by watering plants, mowing lawn, cleaning entrances
- Utilize insecticides to prevent infestation by dangerous pests
- Perform maintenance and minor repairs (replacing broken switches, fixing door handles, minor leaks etc.)
- Report major damages and oversee repairs
- Secure facilities after operating hours by locking doors, closing windows and setting up the alarm
- Undertake custodial and janitorial tasks (shoveling snow from the sidewalk, lifting heavy items, moving chairs etc.)
Requirements and skills
- Commitment to the keeping the values of the Catholic faith and Catholic educational tradition
- Proven experience as custodian, janitor or in a similar role
- Ability to perform outlined tasks with minimal supervision
- Must have good organizational skills
- Ability to work with a variety of constituents including children
- Knowledge of use and maintenance of industrial cleaning equipment and appliances
- Knowledge of safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components
- Familiarity with basic landscaping and handyman practices
- Attention to detail and conscientiousness
- High school diploma is preferred but not required
- Valid driver’s license with a record of safe operation of motor vehicles
- Must possess the ability to work well with other departments and staff
- Must be courteous and flexible in approach to work
Position may require lifting and exposure to chemicals, dust, dirt, and bacteria. The position may require reporting to work before or after regular office hours. Tasks must be performed according to the time frame provided so as to avoid the spread of undesirable smells, bacteria, rodents, and/or insects
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.